Andy Bolton recently wrote about his current deadlift routine:
Just wanted to tell you about how I’ve been training my Deadlift for the past month.
It’s a bit different to how I’ve done it in the past…
And it’s made me feel like an absolute machine when I approach the bar to pull 🙂
With my friend Gerry McNamara’s help, the following plan was devised:
Week 1: 60% x 2 x 3
Week 2: 65% x 2 x 3
Week 3: 70% x 2 x 3
Week 4: Work up to a very heavy single from the floor and then pull a very heavy single from blocks (or the pins in a power rack), starting from just above the knee…
Here’s the details you need to know before you attempt this:
– On week’s 1, 2 and 3 use 10 to 20kg of chain per side of the bar
– On week 4, use straight weight
– On week 4 use a double overhand grip and STRAPS (this works the Hamstrings hard. Try it and you’ll see what I mean)
– Pull every rep as explosively as possible
– Although I never used to think there was much value in pulling from above the knee, I have come to the conclusion that IT IS useful to get your body ready for handling increased loads from the floor
Give this program a try and let me know how you get on.
It’s working like GOLD for me and my training partners.
Talk to you soon,